Monday, April 21, 2008

Between a Rock and a Hard Place


The "Rock" of which I speak is Jesus Christ. The "hard place" -- my heart. I at times find myself in the very struggle Paul writes about in Romans 7:18-23, "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. ..." In other words, Paul's human desires and godly desires battled just as mine do. I want so much to always do what pleases God, and I know those choices are ultimately for my own good; BUT my old nature -- the one that I still allow to kick, scream and breathe -- wants so badly to react and do what brings only temporary satisfaction. The temporary satisfaction ultimately leads to far less fulfillment and joy. As long as this body is living on this earth, there will be the battle between the Rock and the hard place. Fortunately, these battles get fewer and farther between. Unfortunately, when I do have them, they can be monstrous in nature. It brings much comfort to know that Paul, the instrument God used to write most of the New Testament and win countless souls to Christ, also struggled in this way. Even Christ battled his human nature in the garden before he was arrested and crucified. He knew what was ahead. He knew the suffering he must endure -- not just the physical suffering but the torture of being separated from his Father while bearing the burden of the sin of mankind. His Godness would determine this suffering was ultimately the most valuable choice. His humanness still resisted. How encouraging to know this road I travel has been traveled victoriously by countless numbers before. Take courage in this, dear friend. The battles we fight, the temptations we endure are but for a short season -- "a vapor", I believe is the metaphor the Bible uses to describe the duration of our lives. The reward is for eternity. Bon voyage!

No comments: