Wednesday, April 9, 2008

No, not one of those days...

I did get up on time this morning. On time is between 4:00 and 4:30 for me. I worked for an hour, made some biscuits (which didn't turn out so great as I'm trying these new "healthy" techniques), made my hubby's lunch, and went for my run. I love my running time because that's when I pray. I really enjoy starting my day out with the one friend I can always depend on -- God. While much about Him is a mystery, he is very predictable in terms of His relationship with me. He is the perfect friend. He is not only my friend, though. He is my Savior and Redeemer. He is the one to whom I cling yet I understand a face-to-face encounter would require an immediate change in my posture -- prostrate before him! He is not only a perfect friend, he is a Holy God. The two seem incompatible don't they? I mean, how can a Holy, All-Powerful, All-Knowing, Creator and Sustainer of all things take such a personal interest in my life? This is the same thought that prompted the psalmist to write, "What is man that thou art mindful of him?" I feel that way often! Yet, He is mindful. So, I do love my time with Him in the mornings. But, this morning's time was cut short. This is when it started becoming "one of those days". I was almost home when my cell phone rang and one of my kids was grumpily asking me where I was -- he had to leave for school and was not having a good morning. The biscuits didn't help either. I battled to suppress my own selfish responses to his grumpiness -- you know, thoughts like, "Hey, I have plans for the day and stuff I do, too, and..." Then I started thinking that one thing most of us probably desire is for someone to truly understand what we do all day -- the stresses we have, the sacrifices we make, the daily life we deal with, and our innermost thoughts, hurts, joys, fears, etc. It's very hard to understand the life of other people from their perspective. Honestly, most of us don't put much effort into it, but even when we try, it's difficult, if not impossible. Which brings me back to where I started today... I just love my time with God. He DOES understand. In fact, he understands even better than I do! Not only does he understand, but he desires to perfect those things in me -- the things no one else sees that drive my responses in life. That perfecting process gives me the opportunity not only for eternal life in a perfect state, but a life more abundantly while I'm in this earth suit, regardless of my circumstances. So, if this life is as bad as it will get for me in terms of eternity -- and my life really isn't bad at all; and if this life is only going to get better if I allow God to work on me to "perfect" me, then I think I can change my almost-grumpy, one-of-those-days attitude and get back to being joyful! Hmmm, I think this blogging is very therapeutic...

No comments: