Saturday, November 1, 2008

Dark Before Dawn



I was reading Mark 15 today. It is an account of the crucifixion. I can't imagine how those who had followed Jesus in his earthly ministry must have felt. From a human perspective, this was a dark, dark time. Can you imagine the confusion? Yes, Jesus had warned them of this moment and even told them He would conquer death, but they truly did not comprehend. This was definitely out of the box for them -- and I suspect would have been for us as well. How do I know? Human nature. I am the same way. There are those times in life that are very dark. There are times when the "comfort zone" is no where in sight -- times with normalcy has taken a back seat, or perhaps left the vehicle altogether. I have found my faith pushed to the max, and I so desire it to grow rather than falter. I think of John the Baptist as he sat in prison. I'm sure he was thinking that this was not the scenario he envisioned for his life. In that dark hour, he questioned. Many do. I do. Mark 16:14 really pierces my heart, "Afterward he (Jesus) appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen." Mark 15 was a dark hour as evidenced by phrases like, "they smote him on the head with a reed, and did spit upon him", and "He was numbered with the transgressors. And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads...", and "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" But, shining in the dark hour, was a bright light seen in verse 38, "And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from top to the bottom." This was victory! (It's interesting that the evidence of victory was seen in a completely different location than the evidence of the darkness...) In our dark hours, Jesus does give us light. We must look for it. We tend to be blinded by the darkness. I am in a dark hour right now. Thus, I find myself in the position of the father who had brought his child to Jesus for healing. Jesus told him that all things are possible to him that believes. The father, desperate to believe, said, "Lord, I believe; help thou my unbelief." So say I.

No comments: