Saturday, January 31, 2009

Joy, Part 1

It is my pleasure to share the news that Josh is on the mend. Over the last several days, I have found myself "happy-shy" in regard to his progress because I am afraid to hope that the three-month ordeal is actually ending. To be truthful, I'm a little ashamed at my doubt and subsequent lack of joy. As I was praying in regard to this attitude glitch the other morning, Psalms 51:12 came to mind: "Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit." Yes, I am indeed in need of joy restoration!

I am also finishing reading Hudson Taylor's autobiography, and I have been struck with the fact that Mr. Taylor had such joy simply in his relationship with God. He was a man who truly delighted in the Lord. He writes of his surrender to service, "The presence of God became unutterably real and blessed, and though but a child under sixteen, I remember stretching myself on the ground, and lying there silent before Him with unspeakable awe and unspeakable joy." There are many such passages in Mr. Hudson's book.

Because my blatant lack of joy coincided with reading about Mr. Taylor's joy and the recollection of Ps 51:12, I thought it might be a good idea to look at the entire chapter of Psalms 51. I'm still in the process of picking this chapter apart and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Just after David begs for the restoration of the joy of his salvation, he pens these words in verse 13, "Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee." Again, I thought of Hudson Taylor, an amazing missionary to China and the founder of China Inland Missions. Not only did this man have true joy, he had an incredible burden for the souls of men. I want to share a few quotes from his book demonstrating his burden:

In reference to his experience providing medical care to a dying man with a hardened heart Mr. Taylor writes, "I could bear it no longer. Bursting into tears, I crossed the room and said, 'My friend, whether you will hear or whether you will forbear, I must deliver my soul,' and went on to speak very earnestly to him, telling him with many tears how much I wished that he would let me pray with him. To my unspeakable joy he did not turn away, but replied, 'If it will be a relief to you, do.' I need scarcely say that I fell on my knees and poured out my whole soul to God on his behalf...within a few days he definitely accepted Christ as his Saviour...I have often thought since, in connection with this case and the work of God generally, of the words, 'He that goeth forth weeping, and bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.' Perhaps if there were more of that intense distress for souls that leads to tears, we should more frequently see the results we desire. Sometimes it may be that while we are complaining of the hardness of the hearts of those we are seeking to benefit, the hardness of our own hearts, and our own feeble apprehensions of the solemn reality of eternal things, may be the true cause of our want of success."

Later in the book, Mr. Taylor shares about a Chinese man who drowned because onlookers hesitated to assist and only grudgingly did so after Mr. Taylor agreed to give them all the money he had with him. Mr. Taylor had just shared the gospel with the drowned man, but does not believe the man had yet had a heart change. He writes, "To myself this incident was profoundly sad and full of significance, suggesting a far more mournful reality. Were not those fisherman actually guilty of this poor Chinaman's death? Assuredly they were. And yet, let us pause ere we pronounce judgment against them, lest a greater than Nathan answer, 'Thou art the man.' Is it so hardhearted, so wicked a thing to neglect to save the body? Of how much sorer punishment, then, is he worthy who leaves the soul to perish, and Cain-like says, 'Am I my brother's keeper?'... Let us remember, let us pray for, let us labor for the unevangelized Chinese; or we shall sin against our own souls."

I plan to share more about what I am discovering about joy in Psalms 51, but this joy-evangelism connection was the first thing of which I took note. Dear friends, may I say that I believe the majority of us fail to win many souls to Christ not for lack of opportunity but for lack of joy we should have in our own salvation. May I take that a step further and suggest that our absence of joy comes from a lack of understanding just what a precious Gift we have in Christ. We do not appreciate the awesomeness of the gift, therefore we do not sense urgency in sharing that gift. I am making this a matter of fervent prayer! Stay tuned for more of Psalms 51...

No comments: