Monday, January 31, 2011

The Ultimate Love Dare


In Matthew 10:31-38, Jesus challenges his followers with this, "Whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my father which is in heaven. Think not I come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace but a sword...a man's foes shall be they of his own household...and he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me."

Matthew 5:44, "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you and pray for them which despitefully use you and persecute you."

The Ultimate Love Dare is This:
1. Do I love Jesus enough to pick up this cross of division and follow him?
2. Do I love Jesus enough to obey his command in Matthew 5:44 regarding these foes?

1. Love: to feel and exhibit esteem and gratitude to a person, to prize and delight in a thing. The etymology of this word is commonly understood properly to denote love based on esteem as distinct from that expressed by "amo", spontaneous, natural affection. In other words, this is dutiful love and it cannot be faked. It is a command.
2. Bless: to praise, celebrate with praises; to invoke blessing; to consecrate a thing with solemn prayers. It is a command.
3. Do Good: To perform beautifully, finely, excellently, well -- no reason for blame. It is a command.
4. Pray: Present tense, voice almost always translated as active and it is an imperative. It is a command.
It is God who works in us both to will and to do his good pleasure. (Philippians 2:13). Do your work in me, God! Conform me to your image and make me a willing, obedient child to accept with joy your love dare. Amen!

No comments: