Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Predisposed to Prejudice

Merriam-Webster online defines prejudice as, " injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims."  Another definition we are more apt to quote is "preconceived judgment or opinion."  Sounds rather like something I would like to avoid.

I read a verse in John 8 that impacted me and turned my thoughts to the topic of prejudices.  The Jewish leaders and Jesus were discussing the true identity of Jesus.  After some bold statements by Jesus, the leaders' reply was, "Say we not well that you are a Samaritan, and have a devil?"  Did they just say being a Samaritan was kin to having a devil?!  My guess is that not one of these religious leaders  considered himself to be prejudice.  They were simply working to maintain the purity of a standard that could not be compromised.  That standard indeed was based on their law and the law's validity was supported by the actions of previous generations who had violated that law and turned away from God.  Their goal likely was was not to be prejudice.  Indeed, their goal very well could have been to be uncompromising and pure in their convictions.  That is not wrong.  But, when their convictions gave way to pride and a superior attitude, they completely missed a life-changing opportunity due to their prejudice.

I had the thought that most people I know personally would not consider themselves to be prejudice.  I believe the majority of people in America would fall into that category.  In an article written about the idea of juror impartiality, Melody Finnemore agrees that  "Many Americans who consider themselves of strong moral and ethical standing will shudder at the thought of prejudice, whether it's against a group, a particular religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, income bracket or other segment of the population that differs from their own.  And yet, maybe we can't help but feel biased against certain groups and, oftentimes, don't even recognize it."*  Christians would probably relate that they are not  prejudice by saying something like, "I hate the sin but I love the sinner."  Finnemore cites a general finding of the Implicit Association Test, a collaborative project of three well-known universities, which "seems to indicate that people truly can't help but incubate some prejudice or another."  Is that true?  I believe it is.  Are you prejudice?  Am I?  Try taking one or more of the demo tests https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/.  I believe it is humanly impossible to be completely free of prejudice.

This has the makings of an all-too-lengthy blog, so I will attempt to shorten it by getting right to the point.  What do we miss when we allow our inclinations towards prejudice turn us away from people -- whether that turning away be physically, emotionally, intellectually or spiritually?  We miss Jesus.  We miss seeing them as Jesus does.  We miss the richness of their experiences that will show us more clearly who Jesus is.  We miss allowing the richness of our own experiences show them more clearly who Jesus is.  We miss the mark -- all in the name of maintaining a "standard" or "purity" that breeds an attitude of superiority.  Friend, I am not saying throw out all your beliefs and standards.  I am saying, examine them.  Are your convictions accompanied by prejudices that separate you from people?   Do you really, really "love the sinner?"  Do you really understand you are no different than anyone else?  Do I?  Are our efforts to be a "good Christian" blocking our ability to be a "good Christ"?  (Frances Chan has some great thoughts on this topic.)  When you "minister" to people do you believe you are better than they are?  We would never want to utter those words as Christians, but do you?  I know I have had that attitude.  I know I probably still will.  It's not purposeful.  It makes me sick.  Personally, I am praying that God will show me every time I have an attitude born out of pride and prejudice and that he will enable me to overcome those.  While it is humanly impossible to be completely free of prejudice, with God all things are possible and we can overcome this destructive part of our nature.  Recognize prejudice.  Resist it.  Fight it hard.  Proverbs 16:3 says if you will commit your works to God (I don't want to act based on prejudice), your thoughts will be established (I won't be prejudice).  Just do it.

*(A Case of Bias:  Jurors Asked to Maintain Impartiality, but is that Humanly Possible?" http://racism.org/)


No comments: