Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fame, Fan or Friend


Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek your name, O LORD. (Psalms 83:16)

David is praying about God's enemies in this chapter of Psalms.  When I initially read this verse, I thought it was good that David wanted these enemies to know God, even if it came via shame.  Then I realized that seeking God's name is not the same as seeking God.  The Hebrew word translated "name" in this verse means "reputation, fame, glory."  Seeking God's name is impersonal -- more knowing what He does than than knowing who He is.

I look at it this way.  When it comes to famous people, there are different levels of knowing them. I live near the hometown of David Cook, season 7 winner of American Idol.  This was a very big deal in our metro area.  Some local people may not know who he is but I would say the vast majority of people here are at least familiar with his name.  I would break it down like this:

Fame Level:  I know who he is.  I know the name.  I know he won.  I appreciate his accomplishment.

Fan Level:  Many Idol fans know details about his life.  They followed his journey to, through and beyond American Idol.  They appreciate his story.

Friend Level:  I know at least two people who are related to David.  They know him.  He knows them.  They have a relationship with him.  They have traveled with him.  They appreciate him. 

How well do you know God -- fame, fan or friend?

If you desire friend level, it will help if you:
--Seek Him.
--Seek His face.
--Seek His strength.
--Seek His kingdom.
--Seek His voice.

Daniel "set his face unto the Lord God and sought him by prayer and supplication with fasting and sackcloth and ashes."  That is some serious seeking. 

But serious seeking has serious benefits...You will seek me, and find me, when you search for me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13)

That is seeker friendly.  Go for it!






No comments: