Saturday, April 12, 2008

Ack, not again!

It's a little after 9:00. My day was planned out to the minute...

Alarm - ugh! What's this? The cat used my bathroom for a litter box again? That's like three times in the last 24 hours -- AND we have mice. She's on thin ice, I'm telling you... Clean it up. Oh, better put hubby's jeans in the dryer so he can wear them to work today. Okay, now go run. Back from run, and it was good, but cold and windy. I'll grab a cup of coffee, read my Bible and then get to work in time to get in two hours before I become taxi driver for the kids. Oh yeah, my husband is working today so better fix his lunch real quick. Oh, yes, and the newest healthy biscuits I started last night need to be finished. Okay, I can do that real quick and still have time to read my Bible and work an hour-and-a-half before taxiing my kids to their various activities...

Let' see, lunch for hubby first. Oh yuck! The lettuce for his daily salad is bad. It's okay, I'll make him a sandwich and maybe he can pick up a side salad on the way to work. What? Only one piece of bread -- and it's the dreaded heel! So, he gets half a sandwich with lots of ham and the bread turned with crust-side in. I'll slice him up some veggie sticks and give him some dip for that, peel and orange and call it lunch. He'll be hungry after work...

Now, for his breakfast -- hot cereal should work for everyone but the oldest. It's easy and foolproof. Oh, it's bordering on lumpy, and what's that? Did I really just pour cumin on top instead of cinnamon? Oh, I think I can get it out. There - much better! A little milk on top and it tastes just fine. Oops, okay a little too much milk. Oh well, it will thicken up. What's taking him so long? It's time for him to go. Oh, here he is. "Honey, my jeans didn't get dry because the dryer was set on fluff dry." Oh, my. I swear I did not touch the setting. I NEVER use fluff dry. Who messed with the dryer? (Probably that stupid cat!) "I don't think I want that cereal -- it's too runny. I'll survive until lunch". (Wait 'till he looks at his lunch...sorry, honey!)

Okay, the biscuits! This dough is -- well, unusual. Okay, I'm giving up on the healthy versions -- yes, even the "delicious buttermilk whole wheat biscuits your family will love". I'm going back to the white flour, fully-fatted buttermilk that my family can actually bite into...

My daughter ate the cereal and a biscuit. "It's not so bad...". Bless her heart. Now, for the oldest's breakfast. Hmm, no bread, no biscuits, nothing for pancakes -- don't have time anyway because if I hurry I can still get in at least an hour of work so I won't have to work so much this afternoon. Oh, I'll make him eggs and put them on those English muffins I still have left. I won't scramble the eggs -- I'll poach them in the microwave. I absolutely can't mess that up. Beep -- oh, that's not quite done. I think I'll do, hmm, yes 17 more seconds. What was that noise? No, the one just a split second before the beep? Did that egg actually explode all over my microwave?! Here, son, but you better do your own salt and pepper on the eggs today...

Oh, it's too late to work before we go now. I'll work two hours between classes and the boys' hair cuts, but I really need to work four today. Okay, marginally fed family, kitchen wiped free of any evidence of the disastrous morning, and I'm headed to the shower. "Mom, I'm going to take a shower..." Looks like we might be late for classes. It's either that or another hat day... I wonder if it's safe to drive this morning? I know one thing, I'm definitely making chili for dinner. I KNOW I can't mess that up -- can I? Maybe I should ask hubby to make it...

I can squeeze in two more hours of work at dinnertime while the fam enjoys the wonderful chili. Did someone say they were going to do laundry and clean the house today? Oh, look! My unintentionally wise youngest just woke up and brought me a box of Wheaties to pour a bowl for him. You really can't mess up Wheaties...

p.s. Do you have any idea how many typos were in this blog?

No comments: