Monday, April 28, 2008

The Breadmaker's Workout





















Now, now, I'm talking about the image on the left, but if the right side works for you...

Today I was kneading bread. The bread I make requires a 20-minute kneading period, and as I was beginning the process, contemplating just how long 20 minutes can seem, I started thinking about a comment my friend, Laura, made. She said something to the tune of a longer kneading time is probably just what flabby arms need. Hmmm... I have already incorporated a leg workout into my weekly cleaning at Dramatic Truth. Could it be that I may be able to also make good use of my kneading time? So, I tried it. As I folded and pushed, I did so with vigor, adding leg lifts with each push -- back, then side, then angled at the side. I also tried a few squats. For good measure, I even tried to turn backwards and knead the dough to get my triceps into the workout. Ummm, well, that one is going to require a bit more practice... Perhaps I will come up with a specific arm/leg workout for 20-minute kneading periods. I could add some music and no doubt make millions! Okay, so maybe working off the effects of too many carbs while making more carbs doesn't make that much sense, but, hey, I've got to squeeze in those workouts whenever I can! Yes, I'm an ex-aerobics instructor gone domestic...

You know, though, there is some "food for thought" in all this bread talk. As I was kneading and doing my little workout, the thought occurred to me that I am much like that bread dough in the hands of my Maker. He puts specific ingredients in me -- His Spirit, His Word, other Christians, life experiences, etc. -- and He works all those things carefully together for a purpose. There will be times when I can sense His hands working me over -- times of pressure, times of gentle forming. There will be other times of rest when it seems as though He has completely forgotten His little potential "loaf". Other times, there is intense heat! Ultimately, God desires us to grow into the image of His Son, who is called the bread of life (John 6:35, 48). So all those "ingredients" God adds to our lives will, according to Romans 8:28-29, "work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son" -- little bread-of-life look-a-likes! So, The Breadmaker's Workout? Philippians 2:12-13, "Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure."

No comments: