Sunday, April 27, 2008

Seventy Times Seven


I often suffer restlessness due to this thing called forgiveness. Sometimes the restlessness is caused by another individual's lack of forgiveness, but most often it is my own struggle with forgiving. Normally, I grapple with this thing to resolution for a relatively short period of time. At other times, the struggle is deep and seemingly never-ending. Those struggles are almost exclusively due to repetitive similar offenses by the same individual. Those, my friend, cause me great sorrow! The sorrow is initially self-focused, but inevitably turns to godly sorrow as my lack of forgiveness blocks my relationship with my Heavenly Father and ultimately causes a ripple effect in all my relationships. The unforgiveness I just can't seem to let go of takes root in the form of bitterness of soul. From that root comes an abundance of "weeds" which cannot be contained. Jesus knows how vital it is to forgive. When asked how often we should forgive, he replied, "...I say not unto thee, Until seven times, but until seventy times seven," implying there should be no limit to our forgiveness. There are times I cry to God with my whole heart, "God, I just can't forgive this person again. The hurt is too deep. It has happened too many times. How can I possibly forgive again?" God answers me simply, "consider him (Jesus) that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin." How often has God forgiven me the same offense? Seventy times seven. So, as I consider Jesus and the everlasting mercy of my Heavenly Father, what right have I to hang on to unforgiveness? Oh, my friend, I know how hard it is! "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible!" Perhaps we have expected that the multiple times we have forgiven this individual in the past should have brought some sort of change. Surely, my efforts toward this person cannot be in vain! God admonishes us not to be weary in well doing, for in due season we will reap if we faint not. God does not specify, however, the fruit that we will reap. He does not say, you will reap the kind of relationship you desire. He does not say, you will reap salvation for that individual you keep forgiving. He simply promises we will reap if we faint not. Perhaps that harvest is an outpouring of the fruit of the Spirit in our lives. Perhaps it is a greater understanding of and appreciation for the depth of the forgiveness bestowed upon us by our Heavenly Father. My friend, we cannot limit God by our expectations. We must let Him work in our lives in His Way. Yes, I have been hurt many times by this person. Yes, that pain is deep! And yes, I will pray for an abundance of God's grace to carry out Paul's admonition in Col 3:12-13, "Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering: Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave (me), so also do I". Oh, God, that I would look more like You in this area of my life. Forgive my unforgiveness and please bestow upon me an abundance of your grace, without which I am unable to obey this important command. Thank you, that as I ask for forgiveness, you readily give it -- even though I have asked multiple times! Now, my friend, let's endeavor to go and do likewise...

No comments: