Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ye Do Err

Matthew 22:29, "Jesus...said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God".

When Jesus says "Ye do err", we ought to pay attention! He was speaking to religious folks when he said this. They were some of the prominent religious leaders of that day, in fact. But how they erred! Thus, we would do well to ask ourselves these two questions:
1) Do I know the scriptures? (Not in light of what I already believe, but in the purity of what they say.)
2) Do I know the power of God? (Does my life reflect that power?)

Recently in my reading of scripture, specifically in the gospels, God has been highlighting once again the connection between my faith in Him and the demonstration of His power. Some verses that stand out...
Matthew 17:20: Jesus was answering the disciples' question as to why they were powerless in a ministry situation, and he said, "Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."

Matthew 13:58: "And he did not many might works there because of their unbelief."

Matthew 8:13: "...and as thou hast believe, so be it done unto thee."

2 Corinthians 13:4-5: "For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he lived by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you.
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves..."

Do I know the power of God in my life? Do I believe what He says? Do I, though weak in him, live with him by the power of God? Do you? I admonish you, friends, together let us examine ourselves...

No comments: