Sunday, March 1, 2009

Filter Failure


This morning I had filter failure. It's quite distressing to pour a cup of delicious-smelling coffee, raise it toward my lips with great anticipation and then see the dreaded coffee ground or two floating on top - yuck! My coffee was rendered useless...

As a follower of Jesus, I have "filter failure" from time to time, too. Jesus said we are in the world, but not of the world. (John 17:15 and others) Allow me to expand on the coffee analogy. In this case, I would be the coffee maker (Mrs. Coffee). The water would represent the Holy Spirit of God and the Word of God, which are pure and a vital part of my makeup. The coffee grounds represent the world that I live in. The filter would be my sensitivity to the Spirit and the Word. See where I am going with this?... As a Christian, I am indwelled by the Holy Spirit at the point of salvation. I have access to the Bible and a billion Bible study helps. These are the things by which my "new man" is driven. In coffee making, when the water mixes perfectly with the grounds, the result is very satisfying -- even powerful for some of us! When God in us mixes with the world in which we live, the results can also be very satisfying -- even powerful. I believe it is what the Bible calls "abundant life".

If, however, my filter isn't working, my new man mixes a little too much with the world. Just as filter failure destroys the purpose of my coffee (drinking), so does spiritual filter failure destroy my purpose as a Christian. I am not effective as a tool through which God's power can work, nor am I of much use to those who do not know Christ personally. I have lost my purpose, and that's a pretty miserable place to live. Ever been there? I certainly have...

The good news is, filter failure is fixable! Hebrews 12:1 instructs us to lay aside the weight and the sin that slow us down in this Christian race. The weights are the things that are not necessarily sin, but are not necessarily helping us along. The sin is -- well, sin! I John 1:9 says we simply confess our sins and God is faithful and just to forgive us AND to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. When we become sensitive to God in our lives and purpose to obey Him, past failures are just that -- in the past. He wants to take us where we are right now and brew up a fresh, good pot of coffee -- something in our little lives that will be useful and powerful. There's a worthy goal...

No comments: