Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Secret Place of Thunder

Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it (my name), and will glorify it again. The people that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him.

God's voice is frequently described as thunder, and I came away from a cursory look at this word in the Bible in a state I struggle to define.  I am elated at the various references to thunder.  They are both powerful and personal.  They convey messages of fear and freedom.  As I looked at each reference I felt like I was waiting to ride an unfamiliar roller coaster.  I love roller coasters and my heart literally pounded in anticipation of the ride ahead.  I know there will be many surprise turns and dips as I continue this ride.  My brief study today left me in a whirlwind of thought.  I admit, I took the "chicken exit" to catch my breath on this first attempt to ride.

Before I exited, however, I found an interesting thunder reference in Psalms 81:7,  "You called in trouble, and I delivered you; I answered you in the secret place of thunder."  At first glance, "secret place" and "thunder" seem incompatible in nature.  Thunder is hard to keep secret.  Hang on...
 
2 Samuel 22:14 says, "The Lord thundered from heaven, and the most High uttered his voice."  Two verses before that we learn that God made darkness pavilions around him.  That word "pavilions" means "thicket, covert, booth."  Sounds a lot like a secret place. 
 
Interestingly, the verse between the darkness verse and and thunder verse talks about brightness.  "Through the brightness that was before him were coals of fire kindled."  So I picture something like this:
 
The brightness that emanates from God kindles coals of fire.  A few uses for coals in scripture:
*sacrifice
*refining
*judgment
*cooking
 
When I attempt to put all these thoughts together, I think one small piece we can place in God's thunder puzzle is that it can be a secret place where God speaks into our lives.  That particular secret place is shrouded in darkness.  You know, those dark times in our lives marked by groping in search of Divine help.  If we continue stepping through that darkness, squelching our fears and other "voices of reason," God does bring illumination to our darkness.  Generally, that light highlights a need we have to address to dispel the darkness. Perhaps it involves an area of sacrifice; perhaps refining our mission or motives; perhaps our judgment of others or a situation is incorrect; or we may need to righteously judge an aspect of our lives.  Always, God desires to nourish our spirit.   My personal experience has been that the needs I perceive in the darkness often do not resemble the revealed needs at all.  Other times, the revealed need is a three-dimensional version of my original concept.  In either case, this Divine disclosure, if acted upon, brings Divine deliverance.
 
Maybe there is darkness in your life.  Maybe the darkness is only noticeable from certain angles.  Or maybe the darkness is all-encompassing.  Rather than freezing in fear, I urge you to walk through that wall of darkness as you cry out to God.  He will answer you.  Follow the sound of His thunder and allow Him to illuminate your needs. Then walk in the light. 

No comments: