Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Security Threat (Part 2)

Many of the Jews...came not for Jesus sake only, but that they might see Lazarus also, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. But the chief priests consulted that they might put Lazarus to death also; for because of him many of the Jews went away and believed on Jesus. (Taken from John 12:9-11)

The chief priests were threatened by Jesus.  We discussed that in part 1.  Jesus threatened their "place" and their "nation."  He does that to us, too.

Jesus also threatened the security of the high priests via Lazarus.  It was really no fault of his own. Lazarus had no say in this situation.  He was, after all, dead when it was instigated.  He was simply a man Jesus loved who had died.  Jesus chose to bring him back to life in plain view of several people.  Some of those people told the Jewish religious leaders who then threatened Lazarus' security.  Simply put, Lazarus died, Jesus raised him and some pretty powerful people wanted him dead again.  John does not tell us specifically what Lazarus' reaction was to being the subject of a miracle and the target of a death threat was.  I like to think because Jesus loved him, and he loved Jesus, he was elated about the miracle and didn't mind the threat.

But the truth is, Lazarus apparently did not have a choice.  We do.  When we choose to follow Jesus, we choose more than life.  We choose death.  Jesus put it this way, "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple...whoever forsakes not all that he has cannot be my disciple." 

Tough words.

Tough questions.

*Am I willing to be separated from my father?
*Am I willing to be separated from my mother?
*Am I willing to be separated from my spouse?
*Am I willing to be separated from my children?
*Am I willing to be separated from my brothers?
*Am I willing to be separated from my sisters.
*Am I willing to be separated from my life?
*Am I willing to be separated from all that I have?

This commitment goes deeper than the places we build and the positions we hold.  This commitment encompasses everything in our lives that has previously defined who we are and why we exist.  It is not supposed to be easy. 

Jesus himself struggled with the sacrifice that was asked of him, "Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour."  But, Jesus understood perfectly why he must make the sacrifice, "but for this cause came I unto this hour. Father, glorify your name."

Jesus asks us to struggle and ultimately commit. "Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abides alone: but if it die, it brings forth much fruit. He that loves his life shall lose it; and he that hates his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal."

Lazarus seemingly did not have a choice.  You do.  I do.  Are you 100% willing for Jesus to threaten your highest security level?  Am I?   

Ask tough questions.  Give real answers.  Ask for grace.  Go for Jesus.  All things are possible with God.







No comments: