Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Work the Walk

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it. (Jesus, John 14)
 
This little section on works is squeezed in between Jesus' discourse to his disciples on knowing him and loving him.  In the context of loving him, Jesus emphasizes obedience.  He also promises the Holy Spirit for comfort and empowerment to do those things. 
 
Ponders:
*Do I know Jesus?  Really?  
     Or do I know what other people know about Jesus?
*Do I love Jesus?  Really? 
     Or do I love the idea of loving Jesus?
 
Proofs:
*Do I do the works that Jesus did and greater?
     (Do I even ask?  Why not?)
*Do I obey him and only him?
    (Do I obey religion? Why?) 
 
It is true that my relationship with Jesus begins and ends with Jesus alone.  It is not dependent on anything that I do.  Ever. 
 
But faith without works is dead.  Always.
 
Work the walk. 
 
 
 
 




No comments: