Thursday, July 5, 2012

Hated

If the world hates you, you know that it hated me before it hated you. – Jesus (John 15:18)

Hate is a strong word. It means just what you think it does: to hate, pursue with hatred, detest. Strong language! There is not much talk in Christian circles about hatred. It is not a pleasant topic. But, if it was important enough for Jesus to address, we probably should too.

Jesus explained that it is necessary to talk about the fact that the world will hate His followers so that his followers will not be offended – literally meaning to put a stumbling block or impediment in the way, upon which one may trip and fall. (John 16:1) In other words, when the going gets tough, stand.

I think there are some questions we should ponder in regard to this topic of being hated:

*Why do they hate me?
-Is my Christ-likeness offending them?
-Or am I just offensive?

*Why don’t they hate me?
-Do I seek to please men more than God?
-Is there a difference between me and the world?

I have met some Christians who appear to make it their goal to be hated. They are rather hateful and they are hated by many. Though they can proudly proclaim they are hated for the cause of Christ, they are ineffective in God’s kingdom.

I have met other Christians who appear to make it their goal not to be hated. Though they proudly proclaim they are loved by almost everyone, they are also ineffective in God’s kingdom.

I know which is my tendency.  Do you?

The reality is, our goal is neither to be hated or to be loved but to follow Jesus.  We need to be Jesus to those around us. When we are, some will hate us; others will come to love Jesus. If they hate us, we shouldn’t be surprised or offended. If they come to love Jesus, we should celebrate!

Paul puts it this way in 2 Corinthians 2:14-17:  Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. To the one we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the other the aroma of life leading to life.


We can keep this issue of being hated very simple.  There is nothing we must do to get it right other than follow Jesus and be like him.

Follow Jesus...plus nothing. 

No comments: