Friday, July 6, 2012

Plus Nothing

Follow Jesus…plus nothing.

Recently I have used this phrase often. I use it very sincerely. I desperately want to follow Jesus with nothing added. But the reality is my life does not completely look like Jesus said it will if I follow him plus nothing.

*Jesus said, if I follow him, I will be a fisher of men. (Mat 4:19)
*Jesus said if I follow him, I will be where he is. (Jo 12:26)
*Jesus said if I follow him, I will deny myself. (Mat 8:34, Lu 9:23)

Admittedly, I do not know much about fishing for fish.  I do not particularly enjoy fishing. If I did, I’m sure I would have made the effort to know more about it. But, as a follower of Jesus, I will want to fish for men. I will not only want to fish for men, but I will learn about it from Jesus and do it. Do I?

Closely correlated to the fishing, is the fact that a follower of Jesus will be where He is. Am I willing to follow Him anywhere? Do I listen to Him or do I listen to tradition? Am I willing to go outside of my comfort zone – with or without the approval of others? Am I willing to meet any person He puts into my path? Am I willing to love any person He puts into my path? Am I willing to be Jesus to absolutely anyone? Am I?

Finally, the key to the fishing and following anywhere, is denying myself. That word “denying” is defined, “to affirm that one has no acquaintance or connection with someone; to forget one’s self, lose sight of one’s self and one’s own interests.” I believe this is a progression. When I deny what I know to deny and follow Jesus, the journey itself will reveal various self-interests that I still cling to. As they are revealed, am I willing to continuing denying? Will I?

That is following Jesus as defined by Jesus. What about the plus nothing?

It’s simple. What ingredients do I try to add?
*Do I believe one must look a certain way to follow Jesus?
*Do I believe one must attend a certain church at certain times to follow Jesus?
*Do I believe one must read certain books or Bible versions to follow Jesus?
*Do I believe one must participate in certain activities to follow Jesus?
*Do I believe one must worship or not worship in a certain way to follow Jesus?
*Do I believe…

…well, the list would grow quite lengthy if I were to enumerate the many different convictions, preferences and tastes identified among individuals and cultures.  But they are just that -- convictions, preferences and tastes. 

Do I follow Jesus? Plus nothing? Jesus, help me.

No comments: