Sunday, July 8, 2012

Fatal Friendly Fire

These things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me. (John 16:3)


What image comes to your mind when you imagine Christians being persecuted for their beliefs? How do you envision the persecutors? I usually picture them as radical sects of non-Christian religions or as the hardened criminal types who hate Christians. While these images are accurate, they are incomplete. According to John 16, if I do not understand another aspect of persecution, I will be offended. stumble and fall as I strive to pursue Jesus.

In John 16, Jesus is talking to the disciples and warning them of tough times ahead. They will be put out of the synagogues. They will be killed, and their murderers will think they are doing God a service.

For as long as I can remember, I have known that those who hated Jesus the most and who persecuted His early followers were the Jewish religious leaders and their followers at that time. But I have never really contemplated what an anguishing situation it must have been for those who had previously followed God, faithfully practicing Judaism to be hated by very leaders they had previously held in high esteem. Painful rejection.

The most painful spiritual/emotional wounds Christians in our country sustain are inflicted by other Christians or “Christians.” Sometimes the offending issues are addressed and worked out biblically. Often times they are not. Believers who follow Jesus down an unconventional path are most at risk for sustaining wounds via “friendly fire.” That was true of the early Christians, and that is true today. Why?

Jesus said the religious would reject and kill because they have not known the Father nor have they known Jesus. The Jewish leaders were well educated. They knew scripture better than anyone and they knew more about the law and about God than the average Jew. But Jesus said they did not know Him or His Father.

We would do well to pay close attention to this teaching and evaluate our lives in light of this truth:

*Have I delivered "friendly fire?" (Do I really know Jesus and the Father?)
*Have I received 'friendly fire?" (Have I been offended, stumbled, fallen as a result?)
Follow Jesus…plus nothing.

No comments: